So....

Opinions voiced here are not necessarily those of my employer...although they should be!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Catch 22, the sequel

“We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”...Thanks Texas Legislature for helping do more and more with less and less...


Our dinner conversation tonight revolved around the classic, "Catch-22". Where if you are crazy enough to want out of the army, you're not crazy enough to get out of the army. We are currently doing that to the families in our counties. We court order them to take classes etc, but they can't afford them and now we aren't providing them. And yet, we say they can't get their children home because they can't take the classes. And we could teach the classes ourselves, except there is a hiring freeze and not enough staff to do the basic job, much less extra... 

Why yes. we're from the government. And we're here to help. Sort of.

I took this job because it was 40% documentation. Like I have to spend that much of my time writing about what I did with the rest of my time. Which means non work writing is a bit thin. That's what i had heard about the problem with writing for a living and trying to write fiction on the side. The good thing is that I have lots of new characters to draw from. People you'd never think really existed do exist and call me on the phone several times a week and ask me to do impossible things. Like believe whatever lies they're telling me at th moment. Good thing I have a built in BS meter. Although the way it's been red-lining lately, I may need to get it re-calibrated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment